Tuesday, December 7, 2010

7 Minutes 'til Heaven

I make this pasta dish when I don't have a ton of time to devote to dinner. It's cheap and it's packed with yummy veggies. You can also add in grilled, poached, or sauteed shrimp or chicken if you want some added protein or to make it a more filling dish.  I call it "Mediterranean Pasta" and it literally takes less than 10 minutes to prepare:




Mediterranean Pasta

Ingredients
  • Pasta - I like to use Fettuccine, Linguine, or Pappardelle, but you can really use any kind.
  • 2-3 sun dried tomatoes chopped fine
  • 1 medium sized fresh tomato chopped
  • 1 shallot or 1/4 onion chopped
  • 1 Tbs fresh dill chopped and 1 tsp fresh dill chopped
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 can of artichoke hearts chopped
  • 1 package crumbled feta
  • Olive oil
  • 2 Tbs butter
  • Salt
Directions

1. Bring water to a boil and cook pasta to package instructions (make sure you salt water a lot)

2. In a large saute pan add about a Tbs of olive oil and a Tbs of butter over medium heat. Place shallots/onions, 1 Tbs fresh chopped dill, and the sun dried tomatoes to the oil/butter. Let simmer for about 2 minutes. Add artichokes and lemon zest.

3. When pasta is finished, drain but do not rinse. Place pasta back into hot pot. Add a Tbs of butter, a Tbs of olive oil, and a sprinkling of salt. Mix to coat pasta then add the tsp of dill and the crumbled feta. Mix into pasta evenly then add the fresh tomatoes and the contents from the saute pan. Mix all together then add shrimp, chicken, crushed red pepper, or any other optional ingredients.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on your new food blog. I learned a lot about you that I didn't know by reading your profile. Keep that spell checker handy, and I enjoyed reading the content very much! P.S. You are welcome to come over and help decorate cookies with the girls anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna make this!! I just wrote it in my marble composition book! But can I substitute lime zest for lemon?........
    i dont really like feta cheese too much, is there a diff cheese you can recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Marilyn - Thanks! I hate being mindful of typing for pleasure although typos annoy me when other people make them, so I will have to pay better attention :)

    I am glad you are enjoying the blog and I will have to plan to come decorate with the girls sometime as I could certainly use the practice!

    @melissa - Excited that you are going to try this! Substitute fresh grated parmesan reggiano for the feta. You could also try goat chease (would coat the pasta nicely - but not too much as it may overpower. I wouldn't use lime zest as it will turn the dish bitter. If you dont have lemon, just skip it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete