Monday, December 6, 2010

Getting drunk is Easier than Baking Cookies

This past weekend I attended a cookie share party at my friend Teresa's house. Teresa had the same party last year and it was a lot of fun so I was really looking forward to it. I was especially anxious because my organic peanut butter cookies had been below par last time and I was eager to step it up this year so that my cookies would mesh in seamlessly with the other beautifully decorated, doughy art forms that seemed to grace the table last year.  For those of you who don't know what a cookie share is, you basically bake and package a dozen cookies for each guest as well as an additional plate for tasting during the party. This way guests can try the cookies at the party then bring home dozens of different kinds of cookies to make assorted cookie plates to use as gifts (or to eat - like I do).

This year I decided to make sugar cookies. In my mind, I saw beautifully colored and frosted Christmas shapes with sprinkles. On my counter, I saw globs of randomly shaped dry and flaky mounds with no appetite appeal whatsoever.


I had quite a dilemma as I had already baked about 50 of my 108 cookies. I started to panic. I decided to add another egg to moisten things up. The cookies were coming out much better and I was feeling a bit more confident so I added some sprinkles. When all 108 cookies were finally finished I looked at my counter and saw the most inconsistent display ranging from small quarter-sized floury catastrophes to huge hand-sized glittery masterpieces. My new issue was now what to serve at the party and what do I give to people to take home? Do I face everyone as they try to palette and swallow the nightmare batches or do I bask in the praise of how delicious they are while deceiving them later when they open their tins to see I had false advertised?



I eventually decided to compromise and packaged some good with the bad and plated the same. Then I made homemade eggnog and spiked it. A lot. I figured if I could just get everyone drunk before they ate my cookies, then they should taste just fine. And so by popular demand, I present you with my eggnog recipe that more than made up for my cookie catastrophe:

Ingredients

  • 4 cups milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 12 egg yolks
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups light rum
  • 1 cup bourbon
  • 2 cups light cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Combine milk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
  2. In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Let cool for about an hour.
  3. Stir in rum, bourbon, cream, and 2 teaspoon vanilla. Refrigerate several hours before serving.

2 comments:

  1. You know Haley... you could have saved time by just making Egg Nog cookies... I have a decent recipe for them... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley- you just made me laugh so hard. I just finally got to read this. My oh my-- keep writing

    ReplyDelete